Since opening in 1989 Riverhouse has built a reputation as a high quality arts centre servicing the community. We are proud of that reputation and will continue to build on it in the future.
We provide a year round programme of events which includes drama, chamber music, traditional and modern jazz, children’s shows, cabaret and art exhibitions. We also offer a variety of classes in arts and crafts for all ages, adults, young people and toddlers.
Over the past 25 years we have played host to great musical talents, from Nicola Benedetti to Barry Douglas, established comedians like Jeremy Hardy, Jenny Eclaire and Dara O’Briain, as well as world class jazz musicians such as Gwilym Simcock and Chris Garrick.
In the Robert Phillips Gallery we’ve displayed works by many and varied artists, from the famous, such as Matisse and HM Bateman, to emerging artists in all media for whom we have provided a platform and support.
We pride ourselves on a breadth of theatrical and musical performances as well as a comprehensive education programme. We look forward to welcoming new and established talents in the years to come.
None of this would have been possible without our Friends and volunteers. We thank everybody who has helped out over the years, from the famous faces like Bernard Cribbins, Julie Andrews and Hannah Gordon who have offered us so much support and really put us on the map, to the new faces that come through our doors every day and especially those who give their time freely to keep it all running.
Our Aims and Objectives
- Promote activities that engage and stimulate a wide cross section of the community.
- Offer and deliver a wide range of art, craft and performance classes to children and adults at an affordable rate – without compromising professionalism and quality of teaching.
- Use practitioners of the highest standards to run our classes.
- Make all our classes accessible and enjoyable.
- Challenge our audiences, and encourage an open minded curiosity.
- Support and nurture local artists from all disciplines, encouraging collaborations which benefit our community and stimulate innovative projects.